Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Getting Schooled

As I prepare to head back to college this fall and many of my friends embark on journeys at their universities of choice, I am brought to consider how infinitely superior college is to high school. I never realized just how much I detested the latter until I experienced the former. Sorry if you don't like lists, because it looks like I'm making more! (It is my blog, after all)

So
Ignoring the obvious monetary aspect, overall college life is better than that of high school because:

1. You have more flexibility with when you take classes
2. There are all kinds of people to meet
3. Plenty of courses outside the areas of math, English, science and history are available
4. You can be more independent (decide when/what to eat, make weekend plans, etc.)
5. Cliques are either nonexistent or far less rigid
6. Most people there chose to be there
7. It really doesn't affect you if other people skip classes or show up late (except in the case of lab partners)
8. Yes, there are still immature nincompoops, but the chances of a competent-person sighting are far greater
9. You start anew every semester!

And now for some observations of why my university is uniquely better than my high school (and in some cases, other colleges and universities):

1. With a student body of over 30,000, I can't be singled out as the nerd, teacher's pet, lame single girl, or other shameful labels
2. I'm not the only - how do I say it tactfully? - non-desecrated person on campus
3. Teetotalism is enforced
4. Although there are still annoying couples, at least they don't [publicly] practice premarital reproduction
5. In a stadium of 64,000 fans, the football team actually wins multiple games a season
6. There are dance teams/clubs with members that do something other than shake their giant rear ends to dirty music
7. I don't step in gum every other day on campus and the grounds are impeccably clean
8. Nobody writes profanity - or anything - in bathroom stalls
9. Being honest, caring about grades and keeping yourself pure are actually considered admirable qualities. Who knew?!

Well, there you have it - just a few of the reasons I have found to prefer college over high school. To my friends who will soon begin 13th grade, and to everyone returning to school, I say, "Make it a great year!"

2 comments:

  1. This kinda makes me want to blag on why college is better than the real world too... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here! I still remember being totally shocked that many boys my freshman year were clean cut, good looking, and nice! I did not know there were very many of those that existed!

    ReplyDelete