Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Gestalt

I've been doing a lot of introspection lately, trying to figure out who I really am and what I want in life. To be honest, I have some weird combinations of personality traits.
I know I'm very much an introvert (I need alone time to re-energize), but I'm also shy - meaning I crave social interaction but lack confidence when it gets down to it. It's actually quite frustrating to have this inner battle going on where I want to be by myself, but then that's not good enough, but I feel incapable of making necessary changes.
I recently spent a Saturday evening working on my taxes while all my roommates were on dates. That's unusual, though: most weekend evenings I'm even less productive and only some of my roommates are on dates.

But on to more lighthearted stuff:
I enjoy birdwatching - especially when I can also ID the tree the bird is in.
Very few songs on my MP3 player feature female artists, and even so, most of the songs are comfortably within my vocal range.
Despite being a homebody most of the time, I love the outdoors and camping.
I'm an independent young woman, and I hate when girls rely on guys to change a flat tire, for example, but I also hate crazy feminists.
I listen to Greenday at my sewing machine and oldies while I clean the apartment.
I hate driving in snow but enjoy skiing and sledding.
I once designed and sewed a Mario-themed cross-stitch for my friends' wedding gift.
I prefer clever, intelligent humor, but I can't resist a good pun.
I love naps - any time of the day.
I'm not into the non-committal stuff, but I quite enjoy cuddling - it's been a while.
Loud people don't hear me, and I hear them way too much.
I feel uncomfortable listening to country music outside of a 4wd or 12-passenger vehicle.
I don't think I know how to effectively flirt.
I play the flute - which is why I hate most flautists; I have a soft spot for brass instruments and a weakness for brass players.
For Christmas I was given a ukulele by one parent and a bolt-action .22 long rifle by the other; I loved both gifts.
I really hope I don't end up being a weird dog lady - because I will have 1-2 dogs, single or not.
I like to imagine that driving standard transmission is something a guy will find attractive someday.
I've used my pocket knife to make a Valentine.

While many people will find it perplexing, I find that the more I learn about natural history and such in my science classes, the stronger my testimony grows of the creation and God's plan of happiness for His children.
The word "conservation" in my major title does not indicate that I'm some sort of chain-myself-to-a-tree yuppie: I am, however, a firm believer in managing natural resources responsibly, as we have been given stewardship over the earth.

What seems like an eclectic conglomerate of traits is actually what forms the essence of, well, me. Like most people, I haven't always liked myself or thought I'm worthwhile, but I've learned in recent years that, while there's always room for improvement, it's okay to be who I am, and the right people will appreciate me for it.

3 comments:

  1. And not only do I appreciate you, I am in awe of your amazingness. You are wonderful! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could anyone not appreciate you?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete