Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On Embracing

Just over a year ago, someone showed me how to hug. Having grown up in an environment where little, if any, affection was displayed after surpassing toddlerhood, hugs were understandably not my thing. When I realized what I'd been without for so long, however, a simple hug came to mean the world to me. That simple, effortless act of caring - when received on enough occasions - served to remove the distrusting and doubtful reservations that had kept me from living happily for eight years.

But life changes and I don't get as many hugs anymore. While most of the hurt has healed, it feels like that void will linger, only to be lessened by the occasional embrace of a friend or perhaps a dream that makes me dread wakefulness. I never knew how much joy a touch could bring, or how much sorrow its absence could cause.

I don't publish this to invoke pity (although sympathy hugs would be appreciated, ha ha), but to call the reader to consider the value of a hug. I appreciate the loving people who give their kind embraces freely and I remember being one who felt awkward receiving a hug. If you're one of those, just smile and let it happen maybe it can change your life.

It's difficult to know what the future will bring, and while past embraces cannot return, let's all look forward and hope hard for lifetimes of sincere, fulfilling hugs.

3 comments:

  1. OMG Hannah! I am totally gonna hug you the next time I see you. And I going to make sure that I do see you again, specifically for that purpose. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go hugs! What you describe is very true, and so well written. You have a talent for writing, and if it is not TOO awkward, I will hug you more, since it seems I have permission now to do what I am more comfortable with anyway! ~Kira

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see you next time I promise to give you a(n?) universe-crumpling hug!!! RawR!

    ReplyDelete