Friday, December 31, 2010

On the Last Twelve Months

It's that time of year again! It seems everyone is talking about reflections and resolutions. I admit it can get old pretty fast, which is ironic considering the holiday's moniker, but let's hope you aren't sick of such talk yet, because I'm adding this post to the list of cliché New Year's stuff.

Every New Year's Eve I have a bit of an end-of-the-year crisis, and today has been no different. It's as though 2010 is a pet, and I didn't know how much it's meant to me until it came time to euthanize . In addition to making me miss my actual pet that died in 2009, these feelings caused me to ask, "What do I have to show for this year?"

My immediate answer was a rather depressing, "Not much," but now I realize there actually were some notable events in 2010.

January:
Started my second semester of college (with mononucleosis).

February:
Had Valentine's Day with my first boyfriend and saw the end of the relationship.

March:
Kept up the schooling while friends at other colleges were on spring break. They laughed.

April:
Finished the semester before said friends. I laughed.

May:
Went in for some uneventful jury duty and attended a job fair.

June:
Had the ol' wisdom teeth extracted and started a survey call center job. I enjoyed the former.
(I lied. This was actually in May, but I don't remember anything from June... I blocked it from my memory due to survey-induced emotional scarring)

July:
Saw a lightning show that was way cooler than the scheduled fireworks. Started a blog.

August:
Quit the survey job, picked up some weed-pulling jobs, and drove the nine hours to college all by myself.

September:
Worked up the guts to audition for the campus sketch comedy group. (I'll get 'em next year)
Also sprained my ankle.

October:
Reached the alive-one-fifth-of-a-century mark and had a couple awkward encounters with the ex-bf. Also realized it was, in fact, an ankle sprain; got x-rays and started physical therapy.

November:
Bought a pair of used skis.

December:
Posted my first YouTube video (as fanfareone - don't mock; I know it's a cheesy video)
Drove home for Christmas - again, on my own.

Resolutions?
They don't seem to work very well, but this year I'm planning on:
Completing the whole workout program I started to do with my roommates but couldn't finish due to the ankle.
Taking a skiing class.

And definitely:
Starting the year out single - and with a sense of possibility.

So as much as I'll miss 2010, I think I can safely say I'm ready for 2011. The drive back to school, however, is a different story...

1 comment:

  1. "Single with a sense of possibility" sounds like the perfect way to start the year. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete